From its beginnings in 1929, Congregation Beth Sholom has been the center of a community of Jews committed to the beauty of traditional Judaism. The original Field Street synagogue was a beacon to Jews moving into the neighborhood. As the congregation grew, the leaders dreamed of a larger home. They built the present Monroe Avenue site in stages, reflecting congregational priorties.
Currently, there is excitement filling every corner of Beth Sholom's Monroe Avenue building. On Shabbat, families fill the sanctuary, and youth-- from preschoolers to teenagers -- take over the basement, library, chapel, and hallways. The friendly buzz of greetings and conversations at Shabbat and holiday kiddush, the Succot hoshanot procession accented with a hundred lulavim, and the noise of costumed children and adults drowning out Haman's name during the megillah reading are testimony to the congregational commitment to Shabbat and holiday observance.